The Welsh Music Prize has announced an exciting line-up for the 2023 Award, ahead of the ceremony this October.
The shortlist for Welsh Music Prize 2023 has been announced, with 15 artists in the running for the prestigious award. Nominees include debut albums from CVC, Dafydd Owain, Hyll, Minas, Overmono and YNYS, plus albums by established artists Cerys Hafana, H Hawkline, Ivan Moult, John Cale, Mace the Great, Rogue Jones, Sister Wives, Stella Donnelly and Sŵnami.
Winners will be announced at this years’ ceremony on 10th October at Wales Millennium Centre, presented by BBC Radio 1 presenter Sian Eleri. The event will welcome a live public audience as part of Llais, Cardiff’s flagship international arts festival which takes place 10th – 15th October. This year the Welsh Music Prize will open Llais for the second year, and include performances by some of the shortlisted performers (announced below). The ceremony will build on the success of last year’s celebration, in which the main prize was won by trio Adwaith.
Welsh Music Prize co-founder, Huw Stephens said: “This year’s shortlist is another great collection of albums from Wales. The Welsh Music Prize is a globally recognised award and an important part of Wales’ music calendar, and this year’s line up at the Welsh Music Prize promises to make it a very special night.”
The Welsh Music Prize 2023 Finalists Are:
- Cerys Hafana – Edyf (Cerys Hafana / Self Released)
- CVC – Get Real (CVC Recordings)
- Dafydd Owain – Uwch Dros Y Pysgod (Recordiau I KA CHING)
- H Hawkline – Milk For Flowers (Heavenly Recordings)
- Hyll – Sŵn O’r Stafell Arall (Recordiau JigCal Records)
- Ivan Moult – Songs From Severn Grove (Bubblewrap Records)
- John Cale – Mercy (Domino Recording Co Ltd.)
- Mace The Great – SplottWorld (SplottWorld Ent.)
- Minas – All My Love Has Failed Me (Libertino Records)
- Overmono – Good Lies (XL Recordings)
- Rogue Jones – Dos Bebés (Libertino Records)
- Sister Wives – Y Gawres (Libertino Records)
- Stella Donnelly – Flood (Secretly Canadian)
- Sŵnami – Sŵnamii (Recordiau Côsh Records)
- YNYS – Ynys (Libertino Records)
The charity Help Musicians will also support the three Triskel Award winners, Half Happy, Dom & Lloyd, Talulah, who will receive up to £5,000 worth of support each to assist their careers with advice and expert sessions from Help Musicians.
Recipients of the Triskel Awards (with Help Musicians) are:
- Half Happy
- Dom & Lloyd
Winners of the Welsh Music Prize 2023 will be announced in a ceremony in October. Further information on the ceremony, and all the shortlisted artists, is available here.